Rigg’s character will be revealed during the third season of the drama, set to premiere March 31, 2013 on HBO.
To anyone who familiar with the intricate faux-history of Westeros, either as it is unfurling in George R.R. Martin‘s novels or in HBO’s television adaptation, this is a tremendous casting coup — and only one among a long list of actors revealed during Friday’s “Game of Thrones” Comic-Con panel. Via a special casting video, the network also revealed that Mackenzie Crook, best known for his role in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise, will be playing Orell, a wildling skinchanger and close ally of Mance Rayder, the King-Beyond-the-Wall and leader of the free folk.
Curiously enough, HBO has yet to reveal which actor has been cast as Mance.
- Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion, The Lightning Lord.
- Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr.
- Kerry Ingram as Stannis Baratheon’s daughter Shireen.
- Clive Russell as Bryden Tully, aka “The Blackfish,” Catelyn’s uncle.
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, who crosses paths with Daenerys.
In addition, the fansite WinterisComing.net reported a number of casting announcements confirmed, according to the site, via an e-mail from HBO. Among them the site named Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane, another ally of Mance Rayder’s, and Philip McGinley as Anguy, a friend of Dondarrion’s. Other actors mentioned include…
- Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife .
- Anton Lesser as Qyburn, an important figure in King’s Landing.
- Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully, Catelyn’s brother.