The IMDbTV Blog
Header

Fox Officially Announces the End of “House”

February 8th, 2012 | Posted by Melanie McFarland in Cancellations | TV News

On Wednesday afternoon, Fox confirmed what many in the industry long suspected would come to pass: “House” will air its last episode at the end of the 2011-2012 television season.

“House” made its premiere in November 2004, and the medical procedural’s late-fall arrival was met with lower ratings initially. But audiences soon gravitated towards the series about the brilliant, antisocial and ruthlessly witty Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie), and the drama soon became one of Fox’s strongest scripted performers. But over the past couple of seasons, “House” has become more expensive to produce — with higher license fees nearly resulting in its cancellation last year — as its ratings have fallen.

The official announcement from “House” executive producers David Shore, Katie Jacobs and Hugh Laurie, as well as a statement from Fox’s Entertainment President Kevin Reilly, distributed via press release, is attached here:

“After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last.  By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004. ”

“The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.”
“Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered.  This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t.  House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.”
“But now that time is drawing to a close.  The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature;  he should never be the last one to leave the party.  How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.”
“The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.”

“The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste.  The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.”

“Lastly, the audience:  some have come and some have gone, obviously.  This is to be expected in the life of any show.  But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience.  Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way.  Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours.  The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.”

“So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years.  If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.”

“Everybody Lies.”
From Kevin Reilly: “While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made.  A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House.  For eight seasons, the entire “House” team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television.  They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business.  For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.”

33 Responses

• Joan says:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Other than the remaining House episodes, I will never again watch Fox for cancelling the best show on TV!

• Mark D says:

Yup, won’t be too many more years before dramas, sitcoms, and all other scripted shows are COMPLETELY gone from television…….replaced by ‘reality’ shows that have absolutely NOTHING to do with anybody’s reality.

Then again, does it really matter ???

With the unrelenting FLOOD of commercials making it nearly impossible to watch most shows these days anyway, it’s probably just as well……

• Fan says:

Well done house! This season so far has been fantastic and I thank you for bringing the witty dr. House and his supporting characters back again and again.

• Danielle says:

They better bring back Cuddy for the final episodes

• paul sudano says:

The news of the end of House had me breathing deeply twice.
    Over the last three years, the stories have been inconsistent.
    But I’ve not tired of watching the core cast do their work in a way that has always been for me engaging and entertaining.
    House’s institutionalization episodes were the highlight for me.
    The love of House and Cutty I thought shined.
    So now, will all go their separate ways, or will House come to the big screen in an excellently threaded story line, bringing together all of the original players. That, of course, will hinge on how the television run is ended.

• kareem (Egypt) says:

It was the best drama show you can ever watch

• Pam says:

This is very saddening as I fell in love with this show and its’ characters long ago. Never missed an episode, and I love the marathons! One got me through nights at the hospital when my son was born. It will be missed terribly…

• Vladimiro Viana says:

I still can´t believe it is true.
    House is, by far, one of the best TV shows EVER, in the showbiz, nowadays.
    USA, you can be really proud of the great television you have. I will miss this show like I never missed one before.
    Well, let´s enjoy the rest of the season, right?
    ; )

• C F says:

So – where do I buy a “House” prescription bottle prop, or cane?

• Walter says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Alana says:

Worst news ever

• Skimray says:

F*ck fox

Lie to me
    And now house

Wtf

• brian says:

Thank u for the awesome show me and my family have never missed a show but I’ve got to ask please don’t stop the show every week we see it we can’t wait till the next one to see what happens next I don’t usually get into drama but the first time I saw the show I loved it and it would certainly suck to lose such a good show. Thank for hearing me out and again thanks for giving us a great show to watch

• James says:

Nnnnnnnnnooooooooo.

• James says:

Please rethink this. I even have watched reruns just to get my “House Fix” for the day

• sharon says:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Slaggingham says:

I hope we get an actual finale. Don’t leave us hanging!

• Smegacool says:

Thanks………….for the memories…
    The time we had to share…
    Allowing us to care…
    Where you would take us we never knew where…But,
    We thank you ~ one and all…

• Amy says:

I Love this show!!!!! Every episode had perfect storyline and Every actor is a PROS. Its really sad to know that the Season is ending. I’m gonna miss HOUSE!!!!

• michael noon says:

It makes me sad that House will no longer be on the air. I’ve grown attached to each character that they feel like family. I will truly miss this great show. I looked forward to each new episode every Monday. I do wish it could last at least one more year to reach the 200 episode milestone. When the last episode does air in a few months, I will surely shed many tears as we must say goodbye to a most remarkable show, team, and family of television.

• Jim says:

End of an era.

• Ghouse says:

…I loved this show early on. Some of the years with the new (big black guy) hospital administrator, I didn’t care for, nor those with the creepy (from the show St. Elsewhere) detective. Overall, it was a 10. House was a mess but I’m sorry to see the show go. Better now near the the top of it’s game then later with no dignity…

• Shmuel says:

Well, OK, it’s a business, and the time for this wonderful series seems to have gone.

Now it’s time for a “House” Movie.

• Amir H. says:

My favorite show finally is coming to an end. Sad day …

• nikhil says:

• Abhishek says:

i love this show and i would seriously miss it. i wish it could last just a bit more.

now that it has come to end, i wish it ends of good note. :)

• Stephen Smith says:

I think the time has definitely come. My wife and I have been faithful watchers since the very beginning, but last year wasn’t nearly as good as previous seasons (in our opinion) and this year has been even worse. I don’t think they’ve had a truly great episode since ‘Both Sides Now’ ended the fifth season. We’ve been watching more because we feel obligated to follow the characters we’ve grown to know. Still, the show had a great run and let a lot of people know how great Hugh Laurie really is.

• KRK says:

House will be missed, there isn’t enough quality, thought provoking television. I hope they exit with the style, and wit they have displayed these past 8 yrs. Thanks for the experience!

• megan b says:

It breaks my heart to hear this will be the last season of house. I’ve been a devoted fan from the beginning. all available seasons on DVD :) but all good things must come to an end, right? Farewell

• twill909 says:

So proud to say been a fan since day one. Sad to see it go.

• Tony says:

After this……there’s nothing left to watch on Fox.

• Anna says:

Fox: Ruining Lives One Day At A Time.